Once your order is shipped, your products should pass our quality control process. In this article you will get to know how we handle our quality control process and how we would like you to participate in it as a merchant.
Why is passing quality control an essential part of a deal?
According to our platform rules, you will receive a prepayment (30% of the full amount of the order). The rest of the payment (70% of the amount) will be only be ensured if your products successfully pass our quality control.
How we handle our quality control process?
Whenever an order is created on our platform, a certain percentage of the whole quantity of the products should pass an inspection performed by our specialists. The inspection will take place in a random basis and should cover the whole lot of goods.
💡 For example, if an order will be shipped with 10 pallets, our inspectors will randomly pick one box from each pallet. Every item (product) in this box will be checked according to our checklist.
In the cases when the flaws that we find in your products are above the acceptable amount, we would randomly choose another pack (or the whole set of products) for additional check.
If this kind of additional check is needed, the expenses lay on the merchant. Regardless of the result of this additional check, the cost will be deducted from the 70% of the amount.
2. If the total price of your order is under 5000 USD, the quality check will take place in the JoomPro warehouse in China; if the total price exceeds 5000 USD, our team will go to your warehouse to perform the quality check in place.
During the quality check process, we will be focusing on the following issues:
- the quantity of the products in every box (wether it matches the package list);
- the total quantity of the products
- basic quality criteria;
- an additional check is possible for certain categories.
The quality check process will generally take 3 business days.
While the quality check is completed, the customer will receive a detailed report on the results of the given check, which will also contain photos and videos of the products. All the issues related to the misinformation will be documented and be compensated by the merchant (the necessary amount will be deducted from the 70% of the amount.